Beaty Hatch PC
Call Today for a Consultation
Local: 360-450-0993
Contact Us Now
A Full-Service Law Firm On Your Side
  • Romanian
  • Russian
  • Spanish

Where can I build a tiny house?

It's getting more and more difficult for Washington residents to afford living in a house. According to some estimates, it costs around 15 years of working to pay for a house that people are only spending their sleeping hours in. more than 76 percent of people across the country are living paycheck to paycheck, just to afford their homes. This serves as one of the reasons tiny houses are gaining popularity. By downsizing the size of their home, from around 2,600 square feet to around 200 square feet, people are cutting down on financial and environmental concerns.

Despite their growing popularity, it is still not easy to find residential property where it is legal to build them. Zoning laws and building laws often have minimum requirements that tiny houses do not qualify for. A tiny house on a foundation, known as accessory dwelling unit (ADU) is complicated to build because of these laws.

Construction codes dictate how a house is supposed to be built and have specifications on the area most rooms in the house must cover. Zoning laws on the other hand are more localized, and the size of the house is determined by the location the real estate is in. generally, zoning and building regulations prevent people from building tiny houses on their residential property-instead an auxiliary unit or secondary residential dwelling unit located on a single family lot.

However, a number of states are relaxing their laws and allowing the construction of tiny houses. It is important to understand what zone one's property is in and what can be constructed on it. It may be beneficial to speak to an experienced real estate lawyer to get a clear picture of one's property and its limitation.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Washington state bar association
  • Oregon State Bar
  • OTLA | Oregon trial lawyers association | In the service of Justice
  • Washington State Association Justice
  • Clark County Bar Association

Contact us right now to protect your legal rights

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Beaty Hatch PC
1112 Daniels Street, Suite 200
Vancouver, WA 98660

Toll Free: 866-678-1372
Phone: 360-450-0993
Fax: 360-694-1758
Vancouver Law Office Map