Beaty Hatch PC
Call Today for a Consultation
Local: 360-450-0993
Contact Us Now
A Full-Service Law Firm On Your Side
  • Romanian
  • Russian
  • Spanish

Dividing property in a Washington divorce

When a couple decides to end their marriage, one of the critical questions they face is how to divide their property. Washington is one of the few remaining states that classify property as either community property or separate property. Understanding the definitions of both kinds of property and the effect of the state's community property law may require the assistance of a knowledgeable family law attorney.

Community property is all property acquired by the couple or by either spouse during the marriage. Community property includes all earnings of both spouses during the marriage, income from assets, such as real estate or a business, and the appreciation in value of those assets. Community property also includes assets acquired with community funds, even if title is taken in the name of only one spouse. Income earned on retirement plan assets is considered community property.

Separate property is any property owned by either spouse prior to the marriage and any gifts or bequests received by either spouse during the marriage. To be considered separate property, gifts and bequests must be clearly designated as intended for one spouse or the other. If a gift or inheritance is given to both spouses, it will be considered community property.

If the couple is unable to decide for themselves how to divide their property, the court will do so. Generally speaking, the court will split community assets and debts evenly between the spouses, and each spouse will receive their own separate property. Dividing community property after a long marriage often requires the expertise of lawyers, accountants and appraisers. Anyone wondering about how community assets may be divided would be well advised to seek the advice of an experienced family lawyer.

Source: FindLaw, "Washington Marital Property Laws," accessed on May 7, 2018

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Washington state bar association
  • Oregon State Bar
  • OTLA | Oregon trial lawyers association | In the service of Justice
  • Washington State Association Justice
  • Clark County Bar Association

Contact us right now to protect your legal rights

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Beaty Hatch PC
1112 Daniels Street, Suite 200
Vancouver, WA 98660

Toll Free: 866-678-1372
Phone: 360-450-0993
Fax: 360-694-1758
Vancouver Law Office Map