Beaty Hatch PC
Call Today for a Consultation
Local: 360-450-0993
Contact Us Now
A Full-Service Law Firm On Your Side
  • Romanian
  • Russian
  • Spanish

What factors do Washington courts use in setting child support?

When a couple with minor children seek a divorce in Washington state, one of their earliest questions concerns child support. Who will pay? How much? How frequently? The specific answers depend upon the financial circumstances of the divorcing couple.

One obvious question may be whether the couple can decide between themselves not to pay child support. Unfortunately for such couples, Washington law requires the court to issue an order providing for child support as part of a divorce, legal separation or parentage action. Thus, the court must order one of the parents to make payments of child support to the other parent. Even if the couple was not married before the child was born, the court must order one of the parents to pay child support.

The "how much" question is usually answered by reference to the state Child Support Schedule. The Schedule includes factors such as the income of each parent, the age of the children, their necessary expenses for clothing, food and medical care. The amount of support is determined by combined family income after taxes, and the special circumstances of the family. One or both spouses can request a modification to the Child Support Schedule, but any deviation must be approved by the court. Child support ends on the later of the child reaching the age of 18 or graduating from high school.

If the financial circumstances of either parent changes after the divorce and issuance of a child support order, either parent can file a motion with the court to change the amount of support. For example, if the non-custodial parent's financial circumstances improve, the custodial parent may seek to increase the amount of child support.

Anyone who is considering a divorce that will involve minor children may wish to consult an experienced family lawyer for advice on child custody or child support. A knowledgeable attorney can provide much helpful information, including the likely amount of child support.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Washington state bar association
  • Oregon State Bar
  • OTLA | Oregon trial lawyers association | In the service of Justice
  • Washington State Association Justice
  • Clark County Bar Association

Contact us right now to protect your legal rights

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Beaty Hatch PC
1112 Daniels Street, Suite 200
Vancouver, WA 98660

Toll Free: 866-678-1372
Phone: 360-450-0993
Fax: 360-694-1758
Vancouver Law Office Map