Beaty Hatch PC
Call Today for a Consultation
Local: 360-450-0993
Contact Us Now
A Full-Service Law Firm On Your Side
  • Romanian
  • Russian
  • Spanish

Modifying an order for child support in Washington

In any divorce involving minor children, financial support for the children is likely to be one of the most contentious issues. If the spouses cannot agree on the amount and frequency of child support payments, the judge will issue an order resolving the dispute. While an initial order may work out for a while, sometimes a person's life circumstances change. So, what happens when one or both parties in Washington want to modify an existing child support order?

As with most family law disputes, the parties should attempt to negotiate an agreement that can be presented to the court for approval. If such an agreement is out of reach, the parties must resort to the procedures spelled out by state statutes. The procedure is intended to be efficient and speedy, but occasionally, the issues require a deeper analysis than the mere review of financial records by the court.

The party requesting the modification must serve on the other party a petition and worksheets that describe the requested change and the reasons why it should be granted. The worksheets are a series of questions and charts designed by the court administrator that set out the financial situation of that party. The necessary information includes living expenses, income, savings, tax obligations and similar matters. The responding party has 20 days to respond if the papers are served within the state; otherwise, the time for answer is 60 days. Unless one of the parties requests an oral hearing, the court will review the petition and relevant evidence, and issue an order without taking testimony. The party seeking an oral hearing must show "extraordinary features" of the case that necessitate an oral hearing.

Persuading a judge to modifying an order for child support can be a difficult and complex task. It is important that no crucial step is overlooked. Therefore, those wishing to modify a child support order in Washington will want to make sure they understand all that is expected of them before proceeding.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Washington state bar association
  • Oregon State Bar
  • OTLA | Oregon trial lawyers association | In the service of Justice
  • Washington State Association Justice
  • Clark County Bar Association

Contact us right now to protect your legal rights

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Beaty Hatch PC
1112 Daniels Street, Suite 200
Vancouver, WA 98660

Toll Free: 866-678-1372
Phone: 360-450-0993
Fax: 360-694-1758
Vancouver Law Office Map