romania Italy France Ukraine
Relocating Children The Results You Deserve

Vancouver Relocation Attorneys

The Legal Process for Moving a Child Out of State

People choose to relocate for many different reasons. Relocations are common in many careers and industries. Ohers choose to move to be closer to family or to help with an ailing or aging parent. The decision can become complicated when there is a child involved and parents must navigate custody and visitation issues. The Vancouver relocation attorneys at Beaty Hatch PC guide clients through the legal process of relocating with children.

If you are considering relocation, call our firm today at (360) 566-6966 for advice about the legal process of relocating with children.

Providing Notice to the Other Parent

Washington law requires custodial parents to give notice to the non-custodial parents before relocating with children. Notice must be provided at least 60 days before the planned move along with information about the reason for the relocation and new address. If the non-custodial parent objects to the move, he or she must file their objection within 30 days of receiving the original notice.

When One Parent Objects to the Move

If an objection to the proposed relocation is not filed within the required period of time, the child’s relocation will most likely be allowed by the court. Even if there is an objection, the law presumes that relocation will be permitted unless it can be proved that the detrimental effect the move will have on the child outweighs the benefits of the move for the child.

The court may consider factors, such as:

  • Alternatives to relocation
  • The age and needs of the child
  • Reasons for relocating or opposing the relocation
  • The impact of the move on the child’s development
  • The child’s relationship with parents, siblings, and others
  • Quality of life, and opportunities here and in the new area

Disputes regarding custody, relocation, and other issues involving children tend to be complex and emotional. Whether you want to relocate or stop your child from relocating, you need the advice of an attorney to learn about your rights and options. If you have questions about relocating children, our Vancouver relocation attorneys can provide advice for your specific circumstances.

Please contact us by telephone at (360) 566-6966 to schedule a consultation.

Why Hire Beaty Hatch PC?

Your Case Deserves the Best Case Scenario
  • Capable & Competent Representation Across Various Legal Fields

  • Attorneys Licensed in the States of Washington & Oregon

  • Honesty, Integrity & Ethical Legal Representation in Every Case

  • Full-Service Law Firm Specializing in Various Legal Fields

  • Responsive & Attentive Communication Every Step of the Way

  • Compassionate Representation & Aggressive Advocacy

  • Strong Referrals & Repeat Business from Satisfied Clients

  • Serving the Vancouver, Washington Area for More Than 65 Combined Years